Mohamad Fandi Rosli, seen here with his wife, Norashikin Abdul Halim, at their wedding reception three months ago. Photo courtesy of NST reader.

SUNGAI PETANI: Mohamad Fandi Rosli, the sole victim in a head-on collision at the North-South Expressway near Permatang Pauh, Penang this morning, was laid to rest at the Kampung Pokok Assam cemetery here this evening.

His family appeared to be trying to come to terms with the loss. More so, when just three months ago, they gathered here, in Taman Sri Pinang to celebrate his wedding.

Relatives and friends arrived since this afternoon to pay their last respects to Fandi.

His wife, Norashikin Abdul Halim, 26, a nurse at the Selayang Hospital in Selangor, rushed here upon hearing the news. She collapsed several times after arriving at 3pm.

Fandi's father Rosli Lin, 57, said he was still shocked by the incident and hoped that there will be justice for his son.

He said he had received a phone call at about 8am and was informed that Fandi had met with an accident but was only told that his son had sustained serious injuries.

Rosli said that he and his wife Noor Suraini Ismail, 47, immediately rushed to Seberang Jaya Hospital, located about 30 minutes away and their hearts were crushed upon seeing the lifeless body of their only son.

He said Fandi, the eldest of two, was returning home after completing his overnight shift at a factory in Seberang Jaya.

"I was in a state of disbelief when I saw the video clip of the car travelling against the traffic flow on the expressway moments before it crashed into my son's car.

"I leave it to the police to investigate the incident but we want justice for my son," he said when met after the funeral.

In the 7.50am incident, a 19-year-old female driver, believed to be drunk, drove her car against the flow of traffic along the North-South Expressway (NSE) after the Sungai Dua toll plaza and triggered a fatal accident following a multiple vehicle collision.

The woman, who caused a chaos along the expressway by driving on the fast lane, then rammed her Proton Gen 2 into a Perodua Kelisa, driven by Fandi causing it to spin to the left lane and into three other vehicles.

The woman and four other motorists escaped with light injuries but Fandi died at the scene.

Police have arrested the woman, who was also tested positive for methamphetamine, for further investigation.

3,372 reads

Related Articles

Most Read Stories by