KUALA LUMPUR: An unemployed man known as “Paksu” who faces 587 charges of incest and attempted rape involving three of his nieces has submitted a representation to the Attorney General’s Chambers for the charges to be withdrawn.
Deputy public prosecutor (DPP) Norhashimah Hashim updated the Ampang Sessions Court here on the matter at the remention of the case today.
“His counsel submitted the letter of representation on Feb 26. There has been no response to it yet,” she said, requesting for a new mention date pending the outcome of the representation.
DPP also informed the court that the documents for the case had been received and would be handed to the defence today.
Judge Azrul Darus fixed April 12 for the next mention date.
In another court, DPP M.Arunjothy also requested for the same date for remention pending the outcome of the representation, which was granted by judge Suzanna Hussin.
Meanwhile, counsel Shahrul Nizam Azwir told reporters when met outside the court that the charges might be withdrawn as the complainant who is the accused’s brother had retracted his report.
On Feb 2, the accused pleaded not guilty to 334 charges of incest allegedly committed eight years ago till last January, with a niece since she was five years old.
On Feb 5, he pleaded not guilty to 253 similar charges and one attempted rape charge involving another two of his nieces who are siblings of the first alleged victim, between January 2006 and December 2013, and between January and December 2017.
The 587 incest charges are framed under Section 376B of the Penal Code, which carries a maximum 30 years imprisonment and whipping on conviction.
For the attempted rape charge, the accused faces Section 376B/511 of the Penal Code which carries a maximum 30 years imprisonment on conviction. – Bernama