GEORGE TOWN: Parti Cinta Malaysia (PCM) deputy president Datuk Huan Cheng Guan has claimed that several DAP leaders, unhappy with the proposed Penang undersea tunnel project, have praised him for highlighting the issue.
He claimed these leaders had sent him personal WhatsApp messages to thank him for bringing the matter to the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission's (MACC) attention, leading to swift action being taken by the graftbuster.
He however said he was not at liberty to reveal the names of the DAP leaders.
"Even their (the DAP-led Penang government) people are unhappy with the state government's handling of the project from the start.
"They are also unhappy that prime pieces of state land had been transferred to a third person, without benefitting the people as a whole.
"With the insider information I obtained, I am able to furnish the MACC with more evidence recently," he told the New Straits Times today but declined to reveal his source.
"Suffice to say that many DAP leaders are happy that this matter is now being dealt with by the relevant authority," he added.
Last Friday, Huan presented new evidence to the MACC, at its headquarters in Putrajaya, to aid its probe into the undersea tunnel development and three-paired road projects.
Huan had also questioned whether the Penang government was trying to hide anything as it had filed an injunction to prevent third parties from issuing any statements on the undersea tunnel project.
In July last year, PCM had submitted evidence of malfeasance related to the Penang undersea tunnel project.
On Tuesday, the MACC raided several government offices in Komtar and private companies with connection to the controversial project.
MACC deputy chief commissioner (operations) Datuk Seri Azam Baki had said that the raids were conducted to assist investigation into the multi-billion ringgit project following new leads it received.
Subsequently, two company directors, with the title of Datuk, were detained by MACC and had been remanded for six days to facilitate investigation.
Today, the state government distanced itself from any elements of corruption in the multi-billion ringgit project.
Speaking at a press conference, Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng explained to newsmen the processes involved, from the time the project was awarded to Consortium Zenith Construction Sdn Bhd until payment was made through land swap for the three-paired road projects.
Zenith had valued the total cost for the three highways at RM302 million but a specialist engineering consultant, HSS Integrated Sdn Bhd (HSSI), which was appointed for the project consultation, had valued it at RM208 million.
Hence, Lim said, the land swap of 1.5ha of land was only for the RM208 million highway projects.
He again stressed that no payment was made involving the undersea tunnel, including its feasibility study, as claimed by certain parties.
"The appointment of Zenith was done through open tender, and so does the appointment of the specialist.
"I still do not understand where is the element of corruption in this. There is no corrupt practice between us (the state government) and Zenith in the deal," he said.
The 7.2km undersea tunnel is part of the RM6.3 billion project undertaken by Consortium Zenith, which included the three paired roads.