KUALA LUMPUR: BAM president Datuk Seri Norza Zakaria is not too worried with the recent dip in form by former World No 1 Lee Chong Wei.
Norza wants the public focus to shift away from the 35-year-old shuttler to avoid adding unnecessary pressure.
After crashing out in the opening round of the World Championships (Glasgow) in August, Chong Wei suffered two more early exits — the second round of the Denmark Open and first round of the French Open — last month.
Norza, who was a guest of honour at the SMC (Sri Murugan Centre) Cup Grand Final today, said: “As I have mentioned before, Malaysian badminton is not about Chong Wei alone. He is a great player and has done so much for the country.
“Let him cool down and have his time. BAM will support him regardless, because we still have a few more major tournaments next year including the Thomas Cup.
“He is still our best men’s singles.”
Norza, who is also the Coaching and Training (C&T) committee chairman, added that he did get a chance to speak briefly to the three-time Olympic silver medallist, about his recent disappointments.
“I spoke to him, asked him if he was okay, and I think he’s fine.
“We are going through a transition, especially after the resignation of Morten Frost (former technical director), so give us some time to sort things out among the players and coaches.”
Norza is also optimistic that Chong Wei will compete in the China (Nov 14-19) and Hong Kong (Nov 21-26) Opens.
“There has been no news or indication that he is not going. I think he is preparing for it,” said Norza, who applauded the efforts of SMC in organising the second edition of the Under-12 Tamil interschool cup.
In the final at the Kuala Lumpur Badminton Stadium today, last year’s runners-up SJKT Kajang edged SJKT Bukit Mertajam (Penang) 2-1 to win their maiden title.
The team received RM5,000 in prize money and a chance to train at the Prakash Padukone Badminton Academy in Banglore, India. SJKT Bukit Mertajam settled for RM3,000.