(File pix)

KUALA LUMPUR: The Badminton World Federation (BWF) have finally broken their silence on the much talked about match-fixing probe, which involves two Malaysian shuttlers.

Though nothing was revealed in regard to the hearing held in Singapore last week (Feb 26-27), BWF secretary general Thomas Lund said today: "We understand that the case is of public interest but the BWF has got rules and regulation, as well as policies which do not allow us to make any statement or speculation until a final decision is made."

On when an announcement on the verdict is expected to be made, Thomas said: "I'm afraid I cannot give you any indication on that."

A source, however, has revealed that the decision on the hearing is not expected to exceed one month.

On Monday and Tuesday last week, two Malaysian shuttlers came before a three-man independent panel in Singapore for allegedly manipulating matches.

The duo, both professionals, face six different charges from six tournaments between 2013-2016, and could be banned for life if found guilty.

As the case is the first of its kind in the history of the sport, many, especially those from the badminton fraternity, have been waiting eagerly for an outcome.

"Firstly you must understand that the players have been provisionally suspended since the beginning of the year. They need to know, so they can move on.

"There are also tournaments coming up, major tournaments such as the Thomas Cup and it will not be right if the players continue to serve the suspension without knowing what's going to happen to them.

"Bearing that in mind, I do not think BWF will take too long before making an announcement on the case. It should not exceed the one month period from the time of the hearing," said the source.

Since NSTP Sport broke the news of the two shuttlers “summoned” by the BWF for a two-day hearing in Singapore, the case has created much buzz.

The world governing body have yet to reveal the identities of the two players implicated in the allegations, but former world junior champion Zulfadli Zulkiffli and ex-Thomas Cupper Tan Chun Seang were seen attending the hearing at a hotel in Singapore last week.

3,353 reads

Related Articles

Most Read Stories by