Huddersfield Town's players celebrate winning on penalty's after the League Championship, second leg soccer match against Sheffield at Hillsborough, Sheffield, England, Wednesday, May 17, 2017. Huddersfield is one victory away from a place in England’s top division for the first time in 45 years after advancing to the second-tier League Championship playoff final on Wednesday. AP Photo

LONDON: Huddersfield goalkeeper Danny Ward sent his side into the Championship play-off final with two crucial saves in a dramatic penalty shoot-out victory over Sheffield Wednesday.

David Wagner’s team fell behind to Steven Fletcher’s goal early in the second half at Hillsborough, but they hit back to grab a deserved equaliser through Tom Lees’ own goal.

With neither side able to win it in extra time, it took penalties to settle a tense semi-final second leg and Ward was the Huddersfield hero as his saves from Sam Hutchinson and Fernando Forestieri clinched a 4-3 triumph.

Chasing a return to the top-flight after a 45-year absence, Huddersfield will face Reading at Wembley on May 29 with a lucrative place in the Premier League up for grabs.

Wednesday could have few complaints after being outplayed for long periods, but their second successive season of play-off heartache after last year’s final loss to Hull might trigger the dismissal of already under-fire boss Carlos Carvalhal.

Izzy Brown had the best chance to break the deadlock in a first half in which tension on both sides kept clear-cut opportunities to a minimum.

Brown should have done better when he met a left-wing cross from Nahki Wells in the centre of the box but swept his low, left-foot shot inches wide of target.

Wednesday looked brighter after the break and got their reward within five minutes after a move which initially appeared to have petered out on the edge of the box.

Fletcher played the ball back out where it was retrieved by Barry Bannan, whose deep cross back in to the far post found the Scot who steered a perfectly-poised header beyond Ward’s grasp.

Crucially, Wagner sent on Collin Quaner in the 71st minute and within minutes the German had set up Huddersfield’s equaliser.

Quaner picked up a ball from Rajiv van la Parra on the right side of the Wednesday box and his cross was poked into his own net by Lees under pressure from Wells.

That set the stage for Ward to shine.

He kept out Hutchinson’s penalty to start the shoot-out, then, after Jack Payne missed a chance to win it, Ward saved again from Forestieri to send Huddersfield to Wembley. --AFP

121 reads

Related Articles

Most Read Stories by