THE Selangor Rugby Union (SRU) have been slapped with a fine and stern warning but escaped suspension for their withdrawal from this year’s Agong’s Cup this year.
Despite initial plans to ban Selangor from the competition next season, the Malaysia Rugby (MR) executive council instead fined SRU RM2,500.
Selangor and KL initially confirmed with the national body that they would be competing in the Agong’s Cup, but reversed their decision on July 12 and July 21 respectively. The tournament kicked off on July 29.
SRU honorary secretary Suhaimi Zainuddin had stated that Selangor were unable to assemble a squad capable of competing at Agong’s Cup level as many of their top players had been pinched by other states.
MR honorary secretary Jamaluddin Salim said banning the team from the competition next year will only hurt players’ development in the state.
“They have been fined RM2,500 and from now, we will fine teams the same amount if they withdraw from the competition in the same manner.
“We want to be firm in this respect,” said Jamaluddin today.
“MR do not want to penalise the players as the team’s management was at fault in this case. We have given SRU a stern warning.
“Selangor have a large pool of active players and banning them from the tournament next year would mean fewer chances for the players to compete at a high level.”
MR have given KL, who asked for an extension, until the end of the month to explain their withdrawal though the latter are expected to receive the same fine as Selangor.
Johor won their second Agong’s Cup title this year after edging Terengganu 33-29 in the final. Johor won their maiden title in 2013 and finished runners-up to Perak in the competition last year.