VIDEO IS EXTREMELY GRAPHIC. VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED
KUALA LUMPUR: An eye specialist in Karnataka, India opened a can of worms recently when he examined a man complaining of pain and itchiness in his left eye. (There was more than met the eye, of course).
One look at the 60-year-old’s strangely-swollen right peeper was all it took for the doctor to decide that his patient needed more than a few drops of Eye Mo. As he inspected the problem area, looking back at him wasn’t just the man’s right eye – but a Chernobyl-esque parasitic worm offended by the doctor’s voyeurism.
According to The Mirror, Dr Srikanth Shetty decided, in the blink of an eye, to evict the illegal tenant (the early bird catches the parasitic worm, after all) over concerns that the man’s eyesight was at risk (as was the eyesight of everyone who had to look at him, no doubt). As a plus, the specialist decided to film the surgery and post it online so that the rest of us could gouge our eyes out after watching it.
The video begins with a lovingly-recorded close-up of the anaconda leisurely doing backstrokes under the conjunctiva of the white of the man’s eyeball – before Dr Shetty swiftly tosses surgical scissors and tweezers at it.
As the doctor whacks the optical organ like a piñata, viewers begin to realise with apocalyptic horror (yes, it gets worse) that the patient’s eye is twitching, scanning and even rolling, while the eyelids flutter as if the procedure being performed is simply an eyebrow threading. The man is conscious and fully aware… that he has no business being conscious and fully aware while undergoing heavy-duty surgery to remove a freaking live eel from his eye.
But before we can recover from this realisation, Dr Shetty deftly catches hold of the worm with what looks like nose hair tweezers and drags it kicking and screaming out of its eye-solation – all 15 centimetres of it.
The surreal removal brings to mind the unlacing of a giant shoe, the removal of a long loose thread, or the slurping up of a spaghetti noodle from one end – minus the angry wriggling and defiant twirling.
Later, the bloated meehoon is seen lying forlornly in a plastic container, moping over how the housing bubble had (literally) burst. (An eye for an eye, worm!).
According to Eenadu India, the worm was a Wuchereria Bancrofti – a human parasitic roundworm spread by mosquitos (suddenly, malaria sounds overrated). When bitten by a vector mosquito, the worm’s larvae enter the bloodstream, lodge themselves in different parts of the body, hatch and then grandly live off the land. Although relatively rare, diseases caused by Wuchereria Bancrofti include elephantiasis, blindness and various lymphatic diseases.
So… the next time I’m venturing outdoors, I’ll be drenched in anti-mosquito repellent, donning my fashionable Chanel hazmat suit, and checking my eyes every five minutes for rattlesnake infestation.